You might have read stories of how people got burnt to death by their smartphone but thought it was a fairy tale. Well not scaring you but same seem to be the case with most adaptors shipped with the Microsoft Surface Pro and this post should serve as a notice to those who bought the device. So what’s the gist?
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said Microsoft Corporation was recalling about 2.25 million AC power cords, less than a week after Apple Inc said it was recalling AC wall plug adapters due to a shock hazard.
As at the time of this post, Microsoft has received 56 reports of the AC cords overheating and emitting flames and five reports of electrical shock to consumers, the U.S. CPSC said.
Among those recall are power cords sold with some models of the Microsoft Surface Pro convertible tablet devices before March 15.
It is on record that Apple had last week said it was voluntarily recalling AC wall plug adapters designed for use in Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Continental Europe, New Zealand and South Korea. The affected two-prong adapters could, in very rare cases, break and create the risk of an electrical shock if touched, the company said in a blog post. The company said it was aware of 12 such incidents worldwide.