Susan Wojcicki has been a Google employee since 1998 before taking over as head of YouTube 5 years ago. We all know YouTube as an American video-sharing website headquartered in San Bruno, California. Three former PayPal employees—Chad Hurley, Steve Chen, and Jawed Karim—created the service in February 2005. Google bought the site in November 2006 for US$1.65 billion; YouTube now operates as one of Google’s subsidiaries. To know more about who the CEO of the video-sharing giant site, here is our list of 12 Things You Did Not Know About YouTube’s Susan Wojcicki:
1. Susan is from Silicon Valley. She was born and brought up there before it transformed to the technology and startup hotspot we know it as today.
2. Susan Wojcicki has been a Google employee from scratch. She was the tech giant’s sixteenth staff and Google actually started in her garage during its early days.
3. Susan’s first major decision on the job was quitting her garage, house and taking the company to Mountain View.
4. She is the brain behind Google’s AdSense. She came up with the remarkable idea to adopt Google’s AdWords into the self-service platform we know it as right now.
5. Susan was in charge of Google’s Youtube purchase. During that period, she was in control of Google Video and YouTube was its main competition. After Google bought YouTube 13 years ago, it has blossomed and was valued at $80 billion years back, earning more than eBay, Yahoo, and Starbucks.
- Must Read: 20 Things You Didn’t Know About Google
6. Google’s search engine is another of several achievements for Susan. She marketed their search engine services, and that was done without any financial backing whatsoever. She partnered with institutions and convinced them to add a Google search bar in their sites. And everything else is history.
7. Several YouTube creators are pleased with Susan’s efforts to keep them engaged and discover what their needs are.
8. She wants VR to be YouTube’s new frontier. Since Facebook and Vessel are coming on strong to rival YouTube in the video industry, YouTube requires innovation and that is exactly what they are undergoing currently to come up with immersive, 3-D content. Her exact words were, “We want to empower all of you to chart this new frontier.”
9. Susan balances parenthood with her job as CEO. She has 5 children. Some felt she was going to give up her career when she had her 2nd kid, but she continued and is now a boss at it.
10. Susan is of the opinion that her kids make her better at her job. Her precise words were, “having the sum of both of those things going on in my life makes me a better mom at the end of the day, and I think it gives me really important perspectives in the workplace as well.”
11. She is a guru when it comes to finding a balance between her home and work life. She does not eat dinner outside her home and spends 6:00-9: 00 pm with her loved ones.
Hope you found these facts about Susan Wojcicki, to be interesting. If you have more interesting facts about him, feel free to share it in the comment box below.