What Is The Meaning of Leachers & Seeders on Torrent Sites

Oscarmini – Quality Tech & Info Arena Forums Programming, SEO, Web Design & Blogging Blogging and Webmasters What Is The Meaning of Leachers & Seeders on Torrent Sites

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Oscar Frank 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Paschal Opara
    Participant

I’ve been an avid user of the internet to download things I really find useful, and one place I always search for softwares are on torrent sites.

I know it might be a stupid question, but I always see the terms “Seeders” and “Leachers” on files I wish to download but don’t understand what those terms mean.

Can you guys help me out on this. I would really love to know if it has any effect on my download speed.
    Thanks in anticipation.

Oscar Frank
    Keymaster

Hi Paschal,
    They are quite simple terms and you need to know them as since you make use of torrent sites.

Leaching/Leachers

Whenever you are downloading a file from a torrent site, you are termed a leacher. In everyday english, leaching means to drain away. So whenever you see the Leachers figure on a torrent download page, it simply shows the number of people who are downloading the said file.

Seeding/Seeder

It’s actually an opposite of leaching in a way. Have you noticed that after downloading from a torrent site using a client such as uTorrent, you’ll Seeding next to the download made. As long as you are connected to the internet, it continues Seeding, which means, it makes your file available to other downloaders.
    When any other person searches for that file, the torrent site shows the number of people who have the file on their pc available for sharing (seeding), and thus makes it faster for the Leachers(Downloaders) if there are lots of Seeders.

In summary, the more Seeders, the better since lots of people are sharing the file, your torrent client can grab from lots of places for download.

I hope this helps.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

21,281FansLike
2,160FollowersFollow
832SubscribersSubscribe

Recent Posts