The COVID-19 pandemic and subsequent lockdown measures contrarily affect food creation and availability, prompting destitution and appetite, especially in agricultural nations.
As per a report, more than 100 million individuals in Africa are confronting calamitous degrees of food instability with the circumstance expected to deteriorate in the coming months particularly between June and August 2021.
Considering this, the Milken-Motsepe Innovation Prize program is calling for imaginative arrangements that will increment financial worth to ranchers, from seed to deal, consequently speeding up progress towards Sustainable Development Goals 1 and 2: no poverty and zero hunger.
About the Milkem-Motsepe Innovaiton Prize program
The Milken-Motsepe Innovation Prize program is a progression of multi-year, multimillion-dollar prize rivalries for mechanical arrangements that accelerate the fulfillment of UN SDGs in Africa.
Must Read: 11 Startups make it to the Inovo Programme
A joint activity of the Milken Institute, a U.S-based non-benefit think tank, and the Motsepe Foundation, a South African association that is focused on annihilating neediness and improving the nature of lives in Africa and past, the debut Agritech Prize looks for African and worldwide business people who can enhance and convey 4IR advancements to tackle some of Africa and the world’s most squeezing difficulties. The details of the program are highlighted below
The competition is structured in two phases:
- Design round: In this round, teams submit their design and business model. An independent panel of expert judges will select up to 25 teams to receive $10,000 each and advance in the competition.
- Finalist round: Selected teams build their prototypes and conduct field tests on small and medium-sized farms in Africa.
Winning teams will boost net economic value to small and medium-sized farms as they:
- Develop innovative technology solutions for any stage of the food system, from seed to sale
- Design a viable business model
- Increase farm productivity and/or decrease post-harvest loss
In addition to the chance to win cash prizes, the Milken-Motsepe Innovation Prize program provides a rich set of opportunities for entrepreneurs.
- $1 million grand prize, with $1 million in additional prizes for the winning team
- Access to an online community where participants will receive resources, online training, team matchmaking among other benefits.
- Teams will receive a 12-week experiential learning program powered by the Stanford Center for Professional Development Idea to Market curriculum. Upon completion of the program, teams will be awarded a Stanford Center for Professional Development Certificate of Completion
- Mentoring from industry experts.
- Pitch and feedback sessions.
- Opportunity to join the Milken-Motsepe Innovation Prize program alumni network where winning teams can access investors, data analysis, and networking opportunities
All entries close on Wednesday, December 8, 2021. Registration is free and open to all. Click here to register.