Purchasing a new iPad is always great, but what will be the fate of your games and saves? Will you need to begin from the scratch on a new device, or is it possible to transfer the saves from your iPhone to the iPad? Fortunately, there are some things that can be done to transfer the files you want and continue the game from where you stopped. In this article, we explore a comprehensive tutorial on how to move your game progress from an iPhone to iPad.
1. Transfer Game Files Manually
This step can be used to transfer files between every iOS device. The step needs you to transfer the files manually, but ensure there is a backup saved somewhere. A program named iExplorer was used to aid the management of the whole thing. It functions on every iOS device, and its simple job is to extract data from one device into another one. These are well broken down instructions:
- Get the application you wish to copy your progress to on the iPad.
- Get the iExplorer app downloaded on the PC.
- Get your iPhone connected to your PC.
- Launch iExplorer and hold on for it to recognize your device in the file browser.
- Tap the small arrow close to your device’s name.
- Tap the arrow close to Apps.
- Locate the application you wish to transfer the data from and tap the arrow.
- When you are within the application’s main folder, search for a folder named Documents. You will see all your stored data, which includes game saves there. Get the content copied to your desktop PC.
- Unplug your iPhone and get your iPad plugged in. Hold on for iExplorer to recognize the iPad.
- Get the “Documents” folder copied from your desktop to the preferred application’s folder on your iPad with the use of iExplorer.
Bear in mind that a few applications make use of various save files, therefore you might need to transfer lots of files from one device to another. A lot of them, though, have just 1 file you have to copy and paste.
How About If Transfer Does Not Work?
In some scarce cases, the transfer will not be successful. That mostly happens if the application installed on the two devices is not the latest version. You have to ensure both devices run the same version of the game or application to make sure the transfer of the save data is successful.
Plus, some applications do not keep their save files in the “Documents” folder. If that is the situation, you need to copy the full “Library” folder from one device to another. That can cause lost high scores, but otherwise, the transfer of the saves will be successful. Your save files will also work properly.
2. Transfer Game Data Using iCloud Services
Majority of the content on your iPhone is backed up on iCloud, excluding game files, but you can locate other game data right there. Leaving you with the option of transferring game data to your new device by making sure your old device is backed up.
Restore the new device with the same files, and your save files will be visible. Below is how you will be able to transfer game data files using the iCloud backup:
- Launch “Settings” on your old device and click “Apple ID banner.”
- Click “iCloud” and choose “iCloud backup.” Click “Back up Now.”
- After backing up your iPhone, power it off and take out your SIM card. Get the SIM card into your new device.
- Power the new device on and adhere to the instructions that is visible on your display till “App & Data.” can be seen.
- Choose “Restore from iCloud” and type in your Apple username and password. Click “Next” and wrap up the process.
- Your game data is already transferred to your new device.
3. Transfer A Game Data Using iTunes
iTunes also lets you make backups of your iPhone, including game data and saves as well. You will be able to create a backup of your device on iTunes and restore the data on your iPad. This is how you can go about that:
- Open iTunes from your personal computer and connect your iPhone.
- Click the Menu bar and choose the iPhone icon.
- Select “Encrypt iPhone Backup” and type in the password. Click “Back up Now.”
- As soon as the backup is activated, take out your SIM and put it in the new device.
- Power the iPad on and connect it to your personal computer. Set up the Wi-Fi connection and select “Restore from iTunes.”
- Type in the password from the third step and restore the data from the encrypted iPhone backup made previously.
There you have it – a comprehensive tutorial on how to move your game progress from an iPhone to iPad. If you have any questions, feel free to drop them in the comment section below.